Thursday, July 3, 2014

New Bike Path? Sign Me Up!

About a week ago I discussed Biking Safely on the North Fork. As I mentioned then, my biggest concern with a rise in bikers on Eastern Long Island is that they do not understand how busy the roads in the area actually are.

While looking on the website of one of the local newspapers (which I suggest you check out, best way to keep up to date with everything local is The Times Review family of papers) this week, I noticed there were new plans to build a bike trail around the perimeter of an industrial park in Calverton. For those who are unfamiliar, Calverton is located near Riverhead, right by where the North Fork begins.

Unfortunately, the idea for the EPCAL Bike Path was met with resistance by the Riverhead Town Board. I am quite disappointed more people are not fans of the proposed path because I think it sounds like a perfect place for people to bike! I like to think that those who head out to the North Fork to bike would love to have their own place to ride around and not have to worry about traffic. And for those wondering, the industrial park does have quite a large perimeter!

Right now the roads on Eastern Long Island are getting a lot busier with people unfamiliar with the area. Sadly when you pair more traffic with bikers who do not realize how busy the roads can get it is a recipe for disaster. If bikers have somewhere else to go to ride it might help things out a little.

Since it does not look like the bike path is going to be created anytime soon however I want to offer another reminder to stay safe when biking out on the East End this summer! Remember, the roads are busier than you think and you can never go wrong wearing a helmet!

No comments:

Post a Comment